Sunday, January 17, 2010

My New, Crunchy, Vegan Life

About the middle of December, I saw this little ad on Facebook about a 21-Day Vegan Kickstart. Well, it intrigued me, so I clicked on it. It was for a PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) and is also being supportive by lots of the more well known vegans, like Alicia Silverstone, Rory Freeman (Skinny Bitch), Bob Harper and Marilu Henner.

I actually started a little early, kind of a test run to see if I could handle it before I really committed to it. So, on December 27th, I went vegan. It has now been 22 days, and I can honestly say that I am really loving it. Not only do I feel lighter, calmer and more energized, but I lost 5 lbs. almost immediately. In addition to that, I've become even more aware about what the animals go through to become part of our diet (it's not pretty, not at all).

I've been cooking with many new things that I haven't used before, like miso, tempeh, brown rice sugar, tofu, mirin, TVP, nutritional yeast and more. All of these things can be found in a health food store or Amazon, so it's pretty easy to get set up. Some have been hits and some misses, but it has been fun.

Today, I had oatmeal with some organic brown sugar, ground flax seed, maple syrup and almond milk. Also had a almond granola bar, salsa and chip and homemade tomato soup and grilled "cheese" sandwich with fakin' bacon and tomato. For dessert, I had vanilla soy yogurt with some strawberry jam and Fiber One mixed in. Pretty normal meals and all really good!

I really think I'm going to be sticking with this. I've already read "The Kind Life" by Alicia Silverston and now "Vegan Freak". Quite interesting stuff and must reads if you are even a bit interested in the idea of being a vegan.

Going out to eat has been a bit more interesting. I've had veggie pizza without cheese, veggie sandwiches, and yesterday, nachos without any meat, cheese or sour cream (poor waitress was rather confused....). At lease the nachos were already coming with black beans and the usually nacho veggies. So it all worked out :)

I plan to continue writing about my experience and things I learn, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Extreme Health 4 Life Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template