Monday, April 19, 2010

MEATLESS MONDAY- Grilled Avocado Sandwich


I don't know about you, but to me, there is just something so yummy about avocados. Of course here in Iowa, we can get them, but since they have a California or warmer kinda climate sort of appeal and I'm a real warm weather kinda gal (yes, I've often wondered what the heck I'm doing in Iowa from time to time), that might be another reason why I love them so much. And, I remember my mom eating half an avocado with a big dollop of Miracle Whip in the middle and that would be a special treat/meal for her (but wrong on SO many levels.... but that is another story....)


Avocado's are really one of the super foods out there. If you aren't including avocado in your diet, you really are missing out! Try out this yummy recipe and let me know what you think!


Grilled Avocado Sandwich


Ingredients:

~1 large, ripe avocado, preferably Hass or another "fatty" one

~4 slices of sandwich bread (whatever kind you like)

~vegan "buttery" spread

~optional:whole grain mustard, vegan mayo


Directions:

Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Slice into thin wedges. Set aside. Spread the buttery spread on one side of all the bread slices. Place one slice, buttery side down, in a preheated frying pan over medium-low heat. If you want to add vegan mayo, mustard, or other "dressings" now is the time! Otherwise, lay the avocado slices from one half of the avocado on the bread, covering well. Place another slice of bread, buttered side up, on top. Let cook 3-5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden to your liking. Carefully flip the sandwich over and grill the other side 3-5 minutes. Repeat the above to make the second sandwich.


This is best when you have a really fatty, good avocado (like Hass). If you use a Florida or other "low fat" or "wet" avocado the flavor is still there but it isn't as good in my opinion. This goes well with soup.


Makes: 2 servings, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes


I added some banana peppers (LOVE those on sandwiches; give it a try and let me know what you think!) and a slice of tomato. This would be great with some yummy tomato soup or a nice fresh green salad. Stay away from the junkie chips and stuff though!


Let me know how you like it and anything you do to make it your own! Enjoy! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Extreme Health 4 Life Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template