Monday, April 5, 2010

Meatless Monday- Black Beans and Rice




I'm starting something new, seeing it is the beginning of April and seems like a great time to add new kinds of posts to the blog. This is going to be a Meatless Monday post and I will be planning on adding a new one each Monday. Being vegetarian or vegan isn't for everyone, but having some meatless meals a week is not only doable for everyone, but it healthy and cheaper than the meals with meat. So, without further ado.....


One of my favorite meals is variations of beans and rice. Not only is it tasty and filling, but it is one of the ultimate meals for health. This is one I made yesterday for Easter, because I wanted to be sure there was something I was able to eat, besides veggie tray and salad. Have to say, I really loved it!

Black Beans and Rice

1 C Brown Rice
1 1/2 C Water
1/4 C Lime Juice
1/8 C Chopped Cilantro
2 Cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed or
3 C dry Black Beans, cooked
1 T Olive Oil
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 T Jalapeño Peppers, minced
1 t Oregano
2 t Cumin
3 C Vegetable Broth
Cayenne Pepper sauce (optional)

Cook the rice, adding the water, lime juice and cilantro per directions (I use my rice steamer and it takes 1 hour).

In a separate dutch oven, sauté green pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeño peppers, oregano and cumin for around 5 minutes. Then add the beans and vegetable broth and cook for 30 minutes.

Once rice is done, either mix into the bean mixture or serve the bean mixture over the rice.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Extreme Health 4 Life Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template